Many colleges require a college essay as to be part of the application process. A college essay is the perfect way to tell the University more about yourself. Actually, it is the most dynamic part of the application process. Where grades, test results and academic transcripts are just showing off your static performances, in a college essay you can let the University know what you’re really about!
Usually, a college application essay contains about 400 to 500 words. Choose your words wisely! Do not recall again your outstanding academic performances, since these are already stated in the ‘static required documents’. Telling something personal; showing things you have gone through in life are far more interesting. So, now you know a little more about what your essay should be about, but where do you start? Follow the next steps and take advantage of the tips we give away below!
How to start?
- Brainstorm, brainstorm, brainstorm. Take a piece of paper; write down all the single words or short sentences that make you who you are today. Draw a circle in the middle of the paper and write ‘ME’ inside of the circle. Attach lines to the circle that are pointing at the words that characterize you.
- Company. Ask someone familiar to review the things you have written down and ask them what reminds them of you. Maybe you have forgotten about something that you would have never come up with yourself.
- Start writing a draft. Use the words you have written on the blanco piece of paper. Make sentences of them and try to write a well flowing story. In this case it doesn’t matter if you exceed the 500 words, as it is just the draft version.
- Sleep. Put the essay aside for a few days. You might come up with other things and ideas you didn’t think of when you wrote the draft.
- Rewrite draft. Read your draft carefully; delete the things you don’t like; add the things you came up with overnight and count your words! Essays that exceed or largely deceed the required amount of words could possibly be rejected.
- Finalize. Let someone else read your essay, check your spelling, grammar and punctuation and use a computer if you don’t have a neat handwriting. If you type your college essay at the computer, make sure you use a standard font and black ink to print the essay.
Tips for College essays
- Let the static documents show off your great test results, academic achievements and extracurricular activities. Use the essay to show off your personality!
- Write about something you’re passionate about, your goals in life or personal struggles. Make it human; unique.
- Do not exaggerate but do use the right words to add emotion to your essay.
- Ask other people to help you as is stated in the steps above.
- Check your spelling, grammar and punctuation and use a computer if you don’t have a neat handwriting.
College student education has bountiful things and issues to think, consider, and decide. Everyone is finding out their own ways [...]
Parents have a huge influence to their children. They have the power to manipulate them in a sense that their [...]
Higher education is not merely about academics; in this educational level, career is as well widely tackled. Students are often [...]
Plenty of things are offered in bulk resources by the Internet. Using it has become basic for people across the [...]